for anyone that still keeps up with this.
Besides baking, I have just been persevering with my hand quilting project and have only sewed an apron and a couple hot pads recently. Not having an ironing board is still my main excuse. Now that we have had a week of random spring-like weather, I am feeling the drive to start making some skirts and dresses in anticipation of the net season. I am so over winter here! It has been really disappointing. The weather men are almost always wrong and I say if we’re not going to get snow, just get to spring already.
I am in the process of moving into a new apartment/house this week and I love the place. Vivian and I are going to be housemates again and plan to actually spend time at home, maybe even together. It is the bottom floor of a house-converted-to-a-duplex. The rooms are big with high ceilings and fireplaces in both bedrooms (the jury is still out on whether they work). We have a front and a back porch which will be perfect for warm summer nights with beer and books (I can’t wait). I also will have room to plant flowers and a garden which I am really excited about. The neighborhood isn’t as good as Grandin but it is no worse than the one I lived in in Minneapolis. It is only 5 minutes from my work and is the same neighborhood as my two friends (yeah, I pretty much only have two friends and Marcus). I think it will be a good set up and I hope to stay in that place for a while. I’ll post some pictures when I take some.
Speaking of Marcus, we are doing well. The completely opposing schedules (I work 6am to 1:30pm, he works 1pm to 9pm) is really hard for me sometimes and I feel like something might need to change when possible. We had the first full weekend together in a long time last week (Valentines Day, coincidentally) and it was really nice and I want more of those to be able to happen. I still find myself struggling with a lot of insecurities which is hard on both of us. (Do they ever go away?!) But I love him and is happy that we have each other. We are supposed to go to California together in July which I am super excited for. I have been increasingly California-sick the last month or so and can’t wait to go back and show him all the places I love so much. I’m dying to see the Pacific Ocean! We were supposed to be going to Kansas City for a wedding in a month but I am afraid I cannot afford it which makes me very sad. I was going to see both Kira get married and visit my friend Ann that recently moved there but I don’t think it’s going to come together :( Money is lame!
And I think that’s about all of the main things. Some other random things:
- I have a goal this year to read lots of classics and re-read books I hated in high school. I tore through “East of Eden” and was so sad when it was over. I am now sort of trudging through “Great Expectations.” It’s not a light read. I want to get on to more Steinbeck and some Lee, Bronte, and Solzhenitsyn.
- I very briefly rode my bike a couple blocks yesterday and it was wonderful (and cold).
- I am totally in love with a radio show called TBTL out of Seattle. I think I have mentioned that before but I still listen to it every day and it’s great.
- I began and endless game of Bejeweled on my computer at work and it really is endless.
- I have come to the definite conclusion that I am pretty much unable to make new friends. Especially girl ones. I am lacking something.
- I really, really, really want someone to come visit me.
I think that’s all. Everything I freely want to talk about, at least :) Here’s to writing more often.