Houndstooth in solids.

This is my finished project in the Robert Kaufman Kona cotton challenge. First of all, thanks so much to RK or the generous donation to our guild (and so many others!), this was a fun and challenging project.
As soon as we got our charm packs, I knew I wanted to make a houndstooth pattern quilt. The original pattern that uses two fabrics uses strip pairs but I cut each square into four diagonal strips, sewed it to strips of Essex Linen in putty (I have 10 yards of this color that I kind of hate), trimmed an inch off two sides of the pieces in the second charm pack, laid it all out, and sewed it together.

The inch wide pieces I removed became the border and the small strips on the back.

The backing is a fabric I bought 5 or 6 yards of when I worked at JoAnn’s 8 years ago. It’s one of the very few fabrics I liked then and still like now, and the colors matched up splendidly with the dusty palette.I quilted it with a meandering pattern inside the thin pieced border with a loopier pattern in the outside border, an bound it with Kona cotton in Moss. After washing it measures 44″ x 63″, a good lap sized quilt.

I might still embroider a label on the back and then it will be gifted as a housewarming present of sorts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *