Whew, I did not mean to take 6 weeks off. But I will admit, it was a nice break. Now I’m back to show you some things I’ve been working on.
When most people think of t-shirt quilts, they imagine the shirt designs cut into blocks to be showcased and maybe surrounded by quilting cottons (like this one a did awhile back). So when I received Holly’s box of her old hardcore shirts, I got to work cutting them out, into all different sizes. Then we actually talked about what she was envisioning, which turned out to involve the shirts being cut apart and used in traditional quilt blocks.
The change of direction really threw me off and it became something I frustratingly picked up for a few hours every few months. I had gone to a local quilt shop where I knew they teach a shirt quilt class to ask about interfacing and they sold me something really thick and expensive that turned out to be pretty terrible. Through some internet research I found French Fuse and then a trip to JoAnn’s turned up something similar and really cheap.
I finally decided on making mostly stars. Since the shirts had been cut to different sizes, I couldn’t just make the same block multiple times so each one took different math and fabric pairings and there were a lot of partial seams. It was also hard because I couldn’t iron directly on most of the shirt designs so pressing became more complicated. Yet, s l o w l y but surely, everything came together.
I also owe many thanks to Cait for all her cheer leading! I long arm quilted it in a sort of angled meander with grey thread, it’s backed in a vintage sheet and the 108″ wide crosshatches from Carolyn Friedlander’s Botanics, machine bound in scraps, and labeled.