It was a pretty easy pattern to assemble. I’m not sure if I did the sleeve cuffs correctly at first, ‘cause they seemed awfully big. So I cut them off (trimming them by 3/4” on both sides in the process), folded them the other way, and sewed them back on, which worked better for me.
I used a lightweight jersey I bought at JoAnn’s on clearance. I’d say it’s worth the $3/yard I paid… I have worn this almost every day for the two weeks after I made it and it has pilled A LOT and catches ALL THE CAT HAIR, so I don’t see it lasting a super long time. But it was a good first run of the pattern and I’ll definitely be making more!
And then this top, I am IN LOVE WITH.
I’d had one yard of this 36” wide vintage fabric laying around for awhile (a birthday gift from Laura Lashley a few years back), not sure that it was enough to actually make anything.
But then I saw this Simplicity pattern in my box (#1364), and thought I might be able to eek it out. Which I did! Wonderfully so!
I only had a 14” zipper, so there is a longer-than-called-for slit in the back (but it covers my bra so what’s a little skin?). I eliminated the seam allowances on the back pieces and cut them right on the selvedge, sewing the zipper right on.
I love the boatneck and how my tattoos peek out over the top.
It has a facing at the neckline and bias tape facings around the armholes, and I serged all the visible seams.
I’ve actually made this top once before, using an Anna Maria Horner voile and a vintage separating zipper.
I made that one a size 12, and could still pull it over my head without using the zipper so this time, I made a 10. I can still pull it over me without the zipper, but I think that’s partly because of the extra long back opening.
I have two other one-yard cuts of vintage fabric from Laura and they might all have to become this.