2014

On a Whim.  February.

Commissioned for a friend’s birthday, I knew Pat Bravo’s Rapture collection and Thimble Blossom’s On A Whim pattern, while not my usual style, would be perfect.  It’s backed in ________, long arm quilted in a rose pattern with variegated teal thread, and bound in _________.

T-Shirts + Stars. March.

This quilt took way too long to make.  I had no excuses, but it finally came together.  It was a commission by a friend, made of her old band t-shirts.  I ended up adding a bunch of coordinating prints from my stash and making mostly star blocks.  It’s backed in a thrifted vintage sheet and some Carolyn Friedlander crosshatch, longarm quilted in a fractal pattern with black thread, and bound in trimmings from the back.

Pow Wow. April.

This was commissioned by a group of ladies for a friend’s baby shower.  I saw a version of the Pow Wow pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew on my friend’s blog and wanted to make it.  I pulled blue, green, brown, and gray from my stash and went for it.  I did my block math wrong though, so I added in some negative space, which I like more.  It’s backed in _________, quilted on my domestic machine in a meandering loop in white thread, and bound it in a couple Denyse Schmidt prints and some scraps.

His. May.

I had a unique opportunity to be commissioned for two quilts for a couple’s wedding, unbeknownst to each other.  She asked me to make his with warm, earthy tones, and seeing this photo on Flickr, I knew it was the one.  I added a large border to bring it to queen sized, backed it in a plaid thrifted vintage sheet and some other coordinating prints from my stash, longarm quilted it in a maple leaf pattern with burnt orange thread, and bound it in trimmings from the back.

Hers. May.

He asked me to make hers in their wedding colors, peach, navy, and mint.  I don’t remember where I saw this pattern but it’s a log cabin block that I chose to lay out in a crosshatch design.  It’s backed in a favorite thrifted vintage sheet, longarm quilted in a swirling pattern with peach thread, and bound in a Rashida Coleman-Hale print.

Flying Geese. June.

This quilt was made as a trade for some beautiful branding/logo work by my friend Emily Poe-Crawford.  I used Carolyn Friedlander’s Botanics collection and coordinating solids.  I used this tutorial to make 4 flying geese at a time and grouped each set of 4 together in different ways, going from dark in the bottom left, to light in the upper right.  It’s backed in two wide back crosshatch prints from that line and a spare set of geese, longarm quilted in a feather pattern with golden yellow thread (the machine went wacky and started squishing and overlapping the design at the bottom but thankfully, it’s all busy enough that you can’t tell), and bound in coordinating fabrics from the front.

Arkansas Traveler. October.

This quilt ended up with a spunky girl named Lucy.  Her dad commissioned it from me, before she was even conceived.  I was inspired by Salty Oat’s quilt with the dark background and bright diamonds.  I used an Arkansas Traveler paper piecing template, with a small alteration, and grabbing all the yellows from my stash (it’s a very underrepresented color) and some solid grays, pieced the blocks.  It’s backed in Denyse Schmidt print and a yellow dot, quilted in a small heart pattern with yellow thread, and bound in a yellow and grey dot.

Meadows of Tule x 3October.

Using Lea Duncan’s first two fabric lines, Meadow and Tule, along with some bright coordinating solids, I made these three square-in-a-square quilts. I love how cheery they are! I used some confetti yardage that had been given to me and pieced in three labels, making the whole piece big enough to load all three quilts on the longarm at one time.  They are quilted in a pattern called “signature” with white thread, and bound in coordinating scraps.

The Behemoth. October.

This is the first king sized quilt I ever made.  It was a commissioned Christmas present by a friend for his wife.  They trusted my design aesthetic and after pulling a stack of blues, yellows, greens, grays, and low volumes from my stash and running it by her for approval, I set to cutting out triangles and laying the design out from darks in the middle to light at the top and bottom.  It’s backed in coordinating yardage, longarm quilted in a meandering loop with gray thread, and bound in trimmings from the back.  It works beautifully in their midcentury modern home.

Spring Maples. October.

I made this quilt based around some orphaned maple leaf blocks from this quilt (pink and purple didn’t seem, right for the first one).  I used some scrap squares and laid out a pleasing pattern on my design wall, and then filled in the blanks.  It’s backed in a thrifted vintage sheet and some scraps, longarm quilted in a maple leaf design with pale pink thread, and bound in a light pink stripe.

Little Swoon. October.

When I made my first Swoon for my mom, I cut out two quilts worth of blocks, thinking I’d make myself one, too.  But after the tedium that is the way that pattern is written (it’d be so much easier to make 8 HST at a time and 4 flying geese at a time, but I guess it’s trying to be fat quarter friendly), I decided just a baby quilt would be better.  I added an extra little star in the middle and added a border.  It’s backed in an Ikea print and some coordinating fabrics, longarm quilted in a fleur pattern with white thread, and bound in trimmings from the back.

Flying NorthOctober.

Hating to throw away even the smallest pieces of fabric, this quilt was made from the scraps of two Swoon quilts.  I laid them out on point and added a 6” border. It’s backed in a slightly shimmery vintage blue fabric, longarm quilted in a flourish pattern with light gray thread, and bound in a Cotton + Steel print.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *