I’m still on my quest to find the perfect button up shirt that I can fill my closet with and this is almost there. The Archer by Grainline Studio is a classic button up shirt that has a lot of potential.
As soon as I received the pattern, I knew I wanted to use this plaid from my stash (another gift from Laura; I’m noticing a trend!), which meant my first foray into pattern matching. I read Lauren’s post on it and tried to match the horizontal striping around the bodice. I could have done better with the vertical striping, too, but it’s a small/busy enough plaid that it works. I decided to cut the button placket, sleeve cuffs, back yoke, and pockets on the bias, which breaks up the pattern a bit, for better or worse.
Overall, the shirt just feels too big. I made a size 12 based on my measurements but the sleeves are way too long, the pockets are too large and too low, and for someone that likes more fitted clothing, it just feels too baggy.
I do, however, really like collar stands. And I like the way Jen has you attach it. Since this fabric didn’t have a wrong and right side, I accidentally attached quite a few pieces of the shirt backwards, you can’t really tell.
I was happy to try a different kind of sleeve placket, though I think I’ll do the Hawthorn style next time. I chose to use snaps because my machine is not too keen on buttonholes (though I occasionally borrow my studio mate’s machine). I would have loved to use red ones but alas, my snap stash is dwindling.
With a few adjustments, this just might make a perfect button up.
I am on the hunt for the perfect button up shirt pattern, something I can fill my closet with. This isn’t quite it but it’s close… it’s the shirt version of the Hawthorn dress by Colette Patterns (a pattern I’ve made two other times).
I used Panache Fresco from Bari J’s Petal and Plume and Ladder Dot in Fuchsia by Denyse Schmidt for all facings and the under collar.
The fit is great and the peplum has the perfect amount of flare.
I serged all seams and hemmed it with a single fold.
I’d love to try the Aster by Colette and the Archer from Grainline Studio. Do you have a favorite button up shirt pattern?
I was so excited about this pattern and impressed by the details of this top, the Meissa blouse by Papercut Patterns, which I first saw on Lladybird. Since she made hers out of cotton, I decided to try that too, though it’s a decision I’m not quite happy with.
This pattern is billed as “loosely fitted” which is true, especially when made in a fabric with the body of quilting cotton (cue awkward outtake photo). I think it would work much better in voile or rayon, a chiffon or silk, which is something I intend to try.
I used this Leah Duncan print and an Amy Butler voile for the collar stand, under collar, and all the facings, which looks really nice, if I say so myself. I had never done a collar stand before but I like it.
Don’t look at the button holes! They are a mess. But those serged edges and the bias hem facings sure look nice…
I think I might go back and either take in the sides, add darts, or shirr the back waist and see if I can’t give it a more flattering fit. It’s not the perfect button up but it gave me some good skills and has potential to be a good one.