Tag Archives: deer&doe

Petal hem shorts.

I actually made these Chataigne shorts from Deer&Doe a couple years ago.  I wasn’t crazy about the fit back then, and I’m still not now.  But they’re not hopeless!

IMG_3556

I  really like the front yoke that comes to a point and the scalloped hemline.

IMG_3540

I found the hem facing had a tendency to flip down, so I made my first attempt at a blind hem. I did… okay.  It probably would have been better with a different color thread.

IMG_3481

I pulled out the pattern the other night and noticed that based on my measurements, I’d graded the pattern and cut the waist at a size 44 and the hips and hem at 42.  I think I should have just gone 42 all the way, especially using a stretch chambray like I did.  Hence, the safety pinned gather on the back.

IMG_3569

And while I like high-waisted bottoms, these seem a little bit too high.  The pattern includes a mid-waist option, so maybe somewhere in between would be better.  I also wish the front pockets were deeper, which I’m finding is a trend.

IMG_3892

I used a voile for the lining and serged all inside seams.  I might try to undo part of the lining and take in the waist to achieve a better fit.

On another note, I’m so happy that it’s bike riding weather.  I love this gal!

IMG_3531

A handmade wardrobe.

I’ve always dreamed of having a handmade wardrobe.

This is the year it’s gonna happen.

IMG_3246

I’ve been on a roll these last few weeks, making four dresses, five shirts, two pairs of shorts, a sweater, and a bra (not to mention 3 quilts)!  I have a bunch of posts ready and waiting for photographs so you’ll be seeing them all soon!

IMG_3456

I’ve been working through my pattern and fabric stash which, while not huge, is full of things I’ve never made.  I’m trying to make really wearable things, which often means “boring”.  While I love a statement dress, I often go for jeans and a t-shirt (a favorite grey v-neck in particular), so I’m aiming for more neutral, comfortable pieces, that I can make multiples of.  I think I’ve found a couple of those already.

IMG_3481

I’ve also always wanted to participate in Me Made May (a challenge for people to wear at least one handmade item every day in the month of May and generally be more thoughtful about their wardrobe), but short of wearing a dress every single day, I’ve never felt like my handmade wardrobe was robust enough.  But now it is and I’m very excited :)

IMG_3450

Part of that will include wearing things I’ve made that I’m not so crazy about, and I might sell those things to people that will love them.  So stay tuned for that!

IMG_3485

I have to give many thanks to Seamwork Magazine for helping me feel as though my handmade wardrobe dream is achievable.  Thank you!

Coming up: jeans, a coat, a cape, and a bathing suit.

Datura times three.

DaturasI bought this lovely Deer & Doe pattern recently and got right to making it.  (Warning: Here comes a lot of pictures!  They are a little washed out but oh well.)

For the first one, I used a red fabric I got from a friend a while back.

Datura AIt might be a rayon or perhaps it’s a cotton linen?  It’s slinky and ended up being hard to work with but I’m still happy with the results.  I made this one just like the instructions say, making my own bias tape and using the cutout neckline option, but using french seams for the sides.

Datura A backI dug through my grandmother’s button box and used some beautiful Mother of Pearl buttons on the back.

For the second one, I used an eyelet/lace I’ve had for a long time and one of my favorite prints from Sarah Watson’s Indian Summer collection that I got at The Little General.

Datura BIMG_1411Datura Bb

Instead of lining the upper bodice, I used store bought bias binding for the neckline and arm holes and french seams everywhere (my new favorite thing).

Datura B detailI, once again, dug through my button box and used four nice wooden ones.

Datura B button detail

Riding the excitement of finishing my second, I got right to the third.

IMG_1393

I used Empress in coral from Joel Dewberry’s Bungalow and Sinister Swarm in flour voile from Anna Maria Horner’s Field Study and lined the upper bodice with a nude colored lining fabric.

Datura C backDatura C bodice detailI lengthened it by 7″ and inverted the curve on the front.

Datura C hemI used 7 assorted mother of pearl buttons from the box.

Datura C buttonsDatura C button detailI love all of my new Datura blouses!  I’d still like to try one with the collar, some cap sleeves, and maybe one lengthened to a dress with a little shirring.  So many possibilities!