I’m still on my quest to find the perfect button up shirt that I can fill my closet with and this is almost there. The Archer by Grainline Studio is a classic button up shirt that has a lot of potential.
As soon as I received the pattern, I knew I wanted to use this plaid from my stash (another gift from Laura; I’m noticing a trend!), which meant my first foray into pattern matching. I read Lauren’s post on it and tried to match the horizontal striping around the bodice. I could have done better with the vertical striping, too, but it’s a small/busy enough plaid that it works. I decided to cut the button placket, sleeve cuffs, back yoke, and pockets on the bias, which breaks up the pattern a bit, for better or worse.
Overall, the shirt just feels too big. I made a size 12 based on my measurements but the sleeves are way too long, the pockets are too large and too low, and for someone that likes more fitted clothing, it just feels too baggy.
I do, however, really like collar stands. And I like the way Jen has you attach it. Since this fabric didn’t have a wrong and right side, I accidentally attached quite a few pieces of the shirt backwards, you can’t really tell.
I was happy to try a different kind of sleeve placket, though I think I’ll do the Hawthorn style next time. I chose to use snaps because my machine is not too keen on buttonholes (though I occasionally borrow my studio mate’s machine). I would have loved to use red ones but alas, my snap stash is dwindling.
With a few adjustments, this just might make a perfect button up.