Tag Archives: red

Catarina.

I recently acquired a printer through a local swap/sell/give Facebook group and I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say it’s changed my life.  That, and receiving March’s Seamwork Magazine, I had to make the Catarina dress RIGHT THEN.

IMG_3589

I used a red rayon (?) from my stash (that I also used to make my first Deer & Doe Datura blouse) and I love it so.  I’m almost ready to take on the summer heat in this dress.

IMG_3687

I didn’t have any bra strap rings and sliders (and no patience to get any!) so I made the straps adjustable by pulling and tying them at the back, foregoing the waist tie.    As the day goes on, the straps slide in towards the middle and the back poufs out, but I actually don’t mind it.

IMG_3657

I didn’t have enough fabric, so I shortened the skirt by about 5″.  I used a red ‘ninja star’ polyester (also used for Seamwork’s Akita blouse) from my stash for the bodice lining and bias hem facing.  I like the little peeks of pattern.

IMG_3664

IMG_3679

I cut out a size 12 based on my measurements, but this one is so roomy, I think I could go down a size (or two, even).

IMG_3641

I’m sad I used up the last of this red fabric but I’ll be getting a lot of wear out of this lovely piece this summer and making more!

IMG_3611

Datura times three.

DaturasI bought this lovely Deer & Doe pattern recently and got right to making it.  (Warning: Here comes a lot of pictures!  They are a little washed out but oh well.)

For the first one, I used a red fabric I got from a friend a while back.

Datura AIt might be a rayon or perhaps it’s a cotton linen?  It’s slinky and ended up being hard to work with but I’m still happy with the results.  I made this one just like the instructions say, making my own bias tape and using the cutout neckline option, but using french seams for the sides.

Datura A backI dug through my grandmother’s button box and used some beautiful Mother of Pearl buttons on the back.

For the second one, I used an eyelet/lace I’ve had for a long time and one of my favorite prints from Sarah Watson’s Indian Summer collection that I got at The Little General.

Datura BIMG_1411Datura Bb

Instead of lining the upper bodice, I used store bought bias binding for the neckline and arm holes and french seams everywhere (my new favorite thing).

Datura B detailI, once again, dug through my button box and used four nice wooden ones.

Datura B button detail

Riding the excitement of finishing my second, I got right to the third.

IMG_1393

I used Empress in coral from Joel Dewberry’s Bungalow and Sinister Swarm in flour voile from Anna Maria Horner’s Field Study and lined the upper bodice with a nude colored lining fabric.

Datura C backDatura C bodice detailI lengthened it by 7″ and inverted the curve on the front.

Datura C hemI used 7 assorted mother of pearl buttons from the box.

Datura C buttonsDatura C button detailI love all of my new Datura blouses!  I’d still like to try one with the collar, some cap sleeves, and maybe one lengthened to a dress with a little shirring.  So many possibilities!