Tag Archives: sewing with knits

Mesa dress.

I’ve wanted an easy knit dress for awhile and I think I’ve found it.

Seamwork Magazine, Mesa dress

This pattern from Seamwork Magazine is straightforward and easy.  I had this fabric in my stash, I think from my friend Laura and it seemed like a perfect thing to make a “muslin” with.

IMG_3088

This was my first time attaching a knit neckline and I’m not entirely happy with it.  I started pinning it at the back and stretching it a little as I went, until I got around to the front and didn’t need to stretch it anymore.  I think if I shortened the piece by 1” it would ease in better.  Or maybe I just need to not stretch in back and stretch in front instead.

I think I might eliminate the skirt slits next time.  It’s not such a tight dress that I need them for mobility, and I didn’t like having to serge and twin-needle sew them (although I did pretty well, I think ;) ).

IMG_3104

I am curious, is there such a thing as a full butt adjustment?  I have a generous back side (which I love!) but I find figure hugging things bunch-up at my lower back, which isn’t the most flattering.  I’ve heard of a full- and small-bust adjustment, but what about the butt?

Seamwork Magazine, Mesa dress

I’m already thinking up ways to alter this dress, including make it into a shirt.  Thank goodness for easy, customizable patterns!  I love Seamwork Magazine SO MUCH.  See my other #seamworkmakes here.

I made a bra!

I made a bra and I am damn proud of myself.

IMG_2580

I purchased a bra kit from Tailor Made Shop and used the Watson Bra pattern from Cloth Habit.

IMG_2528

In stores I’ve always bought a 34B, but in taking my measurements for this, I appeared to be a 36A.  Lo and behold, it fits me great!

IMG_2726

I don’t think my machine is ideal for this kind of project.  While it all worked out in the end, I cannot adjust the length of my zig zag stitches and the feed dogs were not cooperating, so all the stitches are terribly uneven.  I had a hard time attaching the hook side of the closure, but it’ll do.

IMG_2727

I used the rose fabric for the cups, white net for the cradle with the roses as the lining, and net for the back, with both peach picot edged elastic, and the wider white elastic for the strap.

IMG_2604

The sides of the cradle stretch out wonky, probably because I didn’t cut and baste the two layers together well.  In the future, I’d like to try fusible lining.  I also realized after I was finished that I threaded the straps through the rings incorrectly.  Whoops!

IMG_2725

When I first put it on, I didn’t love it.  But after prancing around without a shirt on for a bit and then wearing it all day, I’d say it’s a success!  And it definitely won’t be my last me-made bra.