Tag Archives: top

Oslo and Simplicity.

The Oslo sweater from Seamwork Magazine was something I wanted to make early on in my subscription with them.  I always need more sweaters!

IMG_3119

It was a pretty easy pattern to assemble.  I’m not sure if I did the sleeve cuffs correctly at first, ‘cause they seemed awfully big.  So I cut them off (trimming them by 3/4” on both sides in the process), folded them the other way, and sewed them back on, which worked better for me.

IMG_3128

I used a lightweight jersey I bought at JoAnn’s on clearance.  I’d say it’s worth the $3/yard I paid… I have worn this almost every day for the two weeks after I made it and it has pilled A LOT and catches ALL THE CAT HAIR, so I don’t see it lasting a super long time.  But it was a good first run of the pattern and I’ll definitely be making more!

IMG_3135

And then this top, I am IN LOVE WITH.

image

I’d had one yard of this 36” wide vintage fabric laying around for awhile (a birthday gift from Laura Lashley a few years back), not sure that it was enough to actually make anything.

But then I saw this Simplicity pattern in my box (#1364), and thought I might be able to eek it out.  Which I did!  Wonderfully so!

image

I only had a 14” zipper, so there is a longer-than-called-for slit in the back (but it covers my bra so what’s a little skin?).  I eliminated the seam allowances on the back pieces and cut them right on the selvedge, sewing the zipper right on.

image

I love the boatneck and how my tattoos peek out over the top.

IMG_3153

It has a facing at the neckline and bias tape facings around the armholes, and I serged all the visible seams.

I’ve actually made this top once before, using an Anna Maria Horner voile and a vintage separating zipper.

IMG_3430

I made that one a size 12, and could still pull it over my head without using the zipper so this time, I made a 10.  I can still pull it over me without the zipper, but I think that’s partly because of the extra long back opening.

IMG_3431

I have two other one-yard cuts of vintage fabric from Laura and they might all have to become this.

And many thanks to the boyfriend for helping me take pictures! Like all these where I was picking pet hair and fuzz off of me:

A new shirt.

I recently subscribed to Seamwork Magazine and downloaded all the back issues. I remained very indecisive about which patterns I wanted to get, though. I immediately downloaded the Camden cape and then after a few weeks and two more credits, I got the Akita top and the Oslo sweater.

I’m on a mission to sew more staple pieces this year, because while I love colorful dresses and bright prints, I often just wear jeans or a skirt and a simple top.

I think the Akita fits that staple bill, as I’m sure I will make many more.

image

I used a red (what my boyfriend deemed) “ninja star” polyester print from my stash. I didn’t have any coordinating bias tape so I folded the neckline over 1/4″, clipped the seam allowance, and folded it over another 1/4″, which worked out!

image

The pattern is one single piece, which makes it really easy. I love the length of the top as is and the fact that it allows different hem finishes. I’m thinking a dropped hem for the next one?

image

The sleeves are a little more fluttery than I usually go for but they’re open for alteration, also.

image

You could split open the back or even turn it into a button up! I’m excited to add many more Akitas to my closet.

Datura times three.

DaturasI bought this lovely Deer & Doe pattern recently and got right to making it.  (Warning: Here comes a lot of pictures!  They are a little washed out but oh well.)

For the first one, I used a red fabric I got from a friend a while back.

Datura AIt might be a rayon or perhaps it’s a cotton linen?  It’s slinky and ended up being hard to work with but I’m still happy with the results.  I made this one just like the instructions say, making my own bias tape and using the cutout neckline option, but using french seams for the sides.

Datura A backI dug through my grandmother’s button box and used some beautiful Mother of Pearl buttons on the back.

For the second one, I used an eyelet/lace I’ve had for a long time and one of my favorite prints from Sarah Watson’s Indian Summer collection that I got at The Little General.

Datura BIMG_1411Datura Bb

Instead of lining the upper bodice, I used store bought bias binding for the neckline and arm holes and french seams everywhere (my new favorite thing).

Datura B detailI, once again, dug through my button box and used four nice wooden ones.

Datura B button detail

Riding the excitement of finishing my second, I got right to the third.

IMG_1393

I used Empress in coral from Joel Dewberry’s Bungalow and Sinister Swarm in flour voile from Anna Maria Horner’s Field Study and lined the upper bodice with a nude colored lining fabric.

Datura C backDatura C bodice detailI lengthened it by 7″ and inverted the curve on the front.

Datura C hemI used 7 assorted mother of pearl buttons from the box.

Datura C buttonsDatura C button detailI love all of my new Datura blouses!  I’d still like to try one with the collar, some cap sleeves, and maybe one lengthened to a dress with a little shirring.  So many possibilities!